See below for the EU social targets for 2020. Can social innovators make it happen? Can we do better?
Any thoughts or reactions to these- to0 little, to late? Do these really address the REAL societal problems we are facing? I feel they don’t, just poor compromise so all nations and fractions can sign on.
For me, really disappointing, it is a bit like stating we are aiming to go half way to the moon, where is the real commitment to make these central to what we need to do? A set of commitments that make you realize you just have to get involved?
- 75% of the 20-64 year-olds to be employed
2. R&D / innovation
- 3% of the EU’s GDP (public and private combined) to be invested in R&D/innovation
3. Climate change / energy
- greenhouse gas emissions 20% (or even 30%, if the conditions are right) lower than 1990
- 20% of energy from renewables
- 20% increase in energy efficiency
- Reducing school drop-out rates below 10%
- at least 40% of 30-34–year-olds completing third level education
5. Poverty / social exclusion
- at least 20 million fewer people in or at risk of poverty and social exclusion